I can laugh about this now....sort of.
Yesterday started out as a great day. Worked from home, cleaned the house, ran some errands, and went on a run in the beautiful boulder fall weather. Around 6:15 I decided to start cooking some stir-fry and was pretty pumped about how awesome it was going to be.
Around 6:30 while chopping an onion with a giant knife I sliced the end of my finger so deep that the first thought that entered my mind was that I was going to be the girl with half of an index finger (clearly I am melodramatic)
I panicked for a minute, grabbed a rag and grabbed my phone to try to call Robin to come back and drive me to the hospital. Guess what? In the far right corner of my phone where the signal shows up it said "SOS" instead of showing bars. Awesome. My phone was even recognizing the severity of the situation and was refusing to let me dial out.
I decided I needed to drive myself (thank goodness the ER is about 2 blocks from our house). I checked into the ER and waited in the waiting room for 2 hours with a family of a kid who had OD'ed on painkillers, a girl who could not stop throwing up, a lot of old people, and another guy who like my idoitic self had cut his finger open as well but had decided to wait a day to do anything about it.
I finally got called back to see the doctor (aka second waiting room) and actually saw someone about an hour after that. After three hours of squeezing your own hand b/c you're bleeding like it's going out of style....your mind starts to wander....why am I feeling so cold, I think I feel light headed, I can't feel my finger anymore, what if I lose my whole finger?!! Again the melodramtic/hypochondriac in me...
The doctor checked out my finger and said "Ahh, yep we're definitley going to need to fix this up". She went and got the numbing medicine and gave me two incredibly painful shots in my index finger. She noticed I was breathing really hard and asked me the three most terrifying words ever "Are you OK?" Bad move Doc. Don't know what it is about those words, but they immediately make feel overwhelmed with emotion, and I started balling crying (for no reason really). The nurse showed up about 5 minutes later (still crying) to alert me that my "roommate was on the phone and wanted to know whether or not I wanted to speak with her".
SIDENOTE: Robin got home around 7:15 and this is the scene she walked into. Door was locked. All lights were on. Food was out on the counters, mid-preperation. Knife still in the onion. Best part - Halloween #1 was on TV, mid-micheal-myers murder scene. Incredibly....NO BLOOD ANYWHERE. Aka....this was literally Robin's worst nightmare. She was totally convinced that this was it....the end of her life....just like she had always feared.
Maybe five minutes after the nurse came up to me and told me Robin had called the ER in search of her "missing roommate", there she was running down the hall of the ER with a panicked look on her face which only got worse when she saw how hard I was crying.
SIDENOTE: My friends get really scared and nervous when I cry b/c it does not happen that often and when it does it is intense.
I finally calmed down and the numbing medicine kicked in so that she could proceed with the stitches. My finger is still numb right now which is awesome b/c I know it's about to start hurting pretty badly soon and I don't have any painkillers. woohooo
Moral of the story...Thank God for great friends who immediately see the worst case scenerio, call your boyfriend relentlessly to see if he knows where you are, then start calling hospitals after one hour, and come to your rescue in the ER!!! Thanks Robin! You are the bomb.


OMG that is scary! I'm glad that you are okay - the scene that Robin walked into would have definitely freaked me out as well! Especially with Halloween on...and the knife in the onion. Eek!
ReplyDeletea) I'm very happy you are ok
ReplyDeleteb) NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.
c) I can't believe you took off your bandage for a photo!! He said leave it on for 24-36 hours!!!!! You are in trouble
d) I think you should be Frankenstein to match your stitches..
Those stitches are serious! Glad you are okay and hope that tonight you get a really good nights sleep. Bet you had a bit of an adrenaline rush last night. And, like Robin, keep your bandage ON! :-)
ReplyDeleteEWWWW! that picture just gave me the heebie jeebies.
ReplyDeletegreat story - you both crack me up. glad you are ok!
OH my word!!! Glad you are ok! That looks like a serious cut. On the flip side seeing Robins face throughout that ordeal makes me laugh inside! You two are quite a pair. First Robins wrist now your finger, you guys are crazy!
ReplyDeleteOh my god Christine, I just laughed so hard. I read it out loud to Cam, I am still picturing Rob freaking out, haha. Hope the finger is better! miss you!
ReplyDelete